Building old custom hot rods, even box stock is an exercise in patience. There are many parts that have to be painted body color. I chose to build this one as a high boy rather than a full fendered hot rod. The only work I did to the body was smooth out the door hinges and fill the door handle holes. There was also a really bad ripple in the roof that I was able to knock out using finger nail files as board sanders.
Spraying the green was an exercise in patience as I had great deal of trouble getting it to cover properly. In the end, I succeeded and was very pleased with the final product. I wanted to use the engine sides but there was no effective way to attach them. As much as I wanted to use them, I didn’t like the idea of covering up the engine.
Completed: December 2009
I hand painted the wheels metallic gray.
I pieced together several of the sub-assemblies early on in the build.
I test fitted the wheels on my VW bus and loved the way they looked. To be honest, I’d love to use these wheels on several kits. They look sharp.
The chassis is complete at this point. Later I would regret not painting the chassis body color which seems to be the trend with full sized high boys. I am considering rectifying this issue at a later date.
Posed with other current projects. The roof needed a great deal of attention to smooth out the ribs created by the molded headliner. I managed to fix this by using a nail file as a flat board sander and kept working it over until it was perfectly smooth.
I can’t remember what happened that required me to smooth out the detail around the windshield. I may have been overzealous while repairing the washboard effect on the roof. Whatever the reason, this was the last bit of body work before I stated spraying color.
As I mentioned, projects like this
Another odd issue with the body was the panel above the truck was raised. I had trouble smoothing it out so I filled it and extended the truck up to the seam under the window. It may not be right but it looks much better than it did before the work.
All of the pieces were painted, cleared, sanded and polished.
All the pieces, hanging out with other new projects.
This is the headliner that caused the washboard effect on the roof.
Ready for final assembly.
I thought the matching tan color around the gauges was a nice touch. I just wish I hadn’t mounted the cluster up side down.