This restoration was of a kit I built in ’93. I used a really cheap airbrush to try my hand at painting the entire body. For my first attempt, it wasn’t bad. I had a lot of body work to do on this one as I had used too much glue attaching the glass and interior tub causing the plastic to warp. After I finished the blue Malibu, I wanted to rework this kit as well as try a different approach.
I used ’53 Chevy wheels with ’94 Trans Am tires. I thought it went for a good low profile retro look. I used some racing seats in the interior in place of the bench seat. The original hood scoop was really lame so I filled it in. I found a low rise intake manifold for the engine so the engine and carb would fit.
For the header side pipes, I used a piece of wire to hold the header to the side pipe and then used body filler to smooth out the two pieces. It turned out much better than it did on the blue Malibu.
I love the dark metallic gray with the red/black interior. I’m very happy with this model.
Originally Built: 1993
Reworked: September 2007
Once again, I forgot to take a good before shot.
You can see the dimples in the roof and rear deck from the excessive use of glue during the original build.
Posed with the finished blue Malibu
The body work is complete and the color is sprayed.
The original kit box art had a red interior. When I started this rework, I wanted to keep some of the red but contrast it with black seats. I like the way it turned out.
The fill in of the hood scoop worked out very well if I don’t say so myself!
Body color engine block.
The stance is much lower on this kit having completed the same suspension work as the blue Malibu and the shorter low profile tires.
I used wire and body filler to smooth out the transition from the header to the side pipe
With the filler work complete on the exhaust, it was time to paint.
I used Alclad chrome to finish the exhaust and grill
Following the Alclad, I black washed the grill
Everything is coming together nicely.
Tamiya’s masking tape is great for holding pieces together while the glue sets.
The almost complete Malibu posed with other current projects.
The completed project.
Yes, the headers are touching the ground, but we can pretend that it has air bags to raise the car when necessary!
The red interior does a nice job of offsetting the dark tones of the rest of the car.
Although this isn’t a true before and after, it is still easy to see all of the work that had to be completed to smooth out the body.
You can see the original hole in the hood and the dimples in the roof that had to be corrected.