This was a fairly standard build. I shaved the door handles and smoothed out a few things on the body. Nothing radical. I opted to do a standard GTO rather than use the Judge decals and wing.
This was another kit where I really spent time hand painting the wheels. I really believe the wheels made this kit.
I finished this kit in November of 2008, but it was never completely finished. I had painted the air cleaner and “foam” seal black and decided that I wanted more detail. I made sure to dig into the air cleaner, using pictures I downloaded from the internet to get it right, and officially finished this kit. It was worth the wait!
Completed: December 2009
I needed a dark base cote for the engine color.
The first round of orange paint.
Boyd’s Ice blue pearl over black made a very accurate Pontiac engine blue.
I honestly can’t remember why I had to repaint the body. It had something to do with how I scribed the door panels or some issue with body work but here it is in another coat of primer.
Chassis and engine layout.
The detail work on the wheels turned out better than I had ever hoped. Once I painted the red center cap, they looked complete.
Posed with the rest of the current projects.
Parafilm is my go-to masking for it’s ease of use. It’s mostly clear and easy to cut and leaves a clean line.
Detail paint for the front and rear.
Anchorman and displayed with a few other kits.
The GTO was finished at this point less the air cleaner. I had originally painted it all one color and realized that I couldn’t finish it this way.
The finished air cleaner looks much better and resembles quite a few photos I found of 1:1 examples.