The Opel GT was fun car from the 70’s that was an economical and sporty alternative to the muscle cars of the day. My dad had one of these for a number of years and I wanted to build one for him.
I’ve never been a fan of AMT kits and this one represents an era when I formed my original opinion. For the most part, the kit was decent. There were a few details that I had to correct that accounted for the majority of the time I spent preparing the body. The rear “trunk” panel had a ridge rather than a panel line. I had to sand them flat and then scribe new lines. The windshield trim was also very vague. In the process of correcting the trim, I lost a little detail and decided to fill in the seam with filler and make my own panel lines. It is not entirely accurate, but my work made it look like it was meant to be that way.
Other than the engine, the under-hood detail was non-existent. To hide that fact, I painted everything black which allows the engine itself to be the highlight under the hood.
Beyond that, this kit also represents a few first for me. I had only recently started using Tamiya spray paint. This was the first time I used the spray can along with Tamiya clear. I sprayed the clear with my air brush. Sanding the clear was a bit of a challenge. I let the clear set for over a month before I started sanding. After a couple of weeks, the paint was still soft. Once it fully hardened, it was difficult to sand.
The other first for me, was using black wash that I made using artists paint and thinner. I’ve used black washes before, but not for accenting panel lines. I was a bit reluctant at first, but once I understood how easy it was to clean up (mineral spirits will not strip the acrylic paint), I had no problems. The results were subtle panel lines rather than the harsh lines that are created by using markers. I was pleased.
Lastly, I used black ZING! embossing powder for interior carpet.
In the end, I was very pleased with this project.
Early body work.
The engine was painted and partially assembled early in the process
Watching House and using an assortment of files, and scribe tools were used to correct the body seams.
First coat of primer to check my work.
Posing with other current projectgs.
More body prep.
At the point, automotive body filler found it’s way on all of my active projects. The Opel needed some work around the windshield.
I like using my dehydrator for curing body filler.
I also had a chance to try out my new Tamiya surface primer. It fills gaps and dries very hard.
Aluminum paint for the transmission and exhaust.
The engine bay is a disappointment in this kit. Other than the engine, there is no detail work. That part aside, I found that the fit between the wheel well and fender prevented the body halves from coming together.
I used a marker to outline the edges of the fender and ground down the plastic to allow the two halves to fit.
Perfect! Before there was an 1/8″ gap between the lower and upper part of the nose.
The first dusted layer of paint.
This is only my 3rd attempt at using Tamiya spray paint. I was very pleased by the results.
Tamiya clear sprayed through my airbrush for both the Opel and Charger.
Detail painting the wheels can make a huge difference in the final look. These wheels are no exception.
The pieces are all coming together.
More time in the dehydrator.
The wheels received a black wash to finish up the detail work.
A quick test fit of parts.
More test fitting.
The project is shaping up!
Current project pose.
I masked and sprayed some black detail.
Sadly, the masking tape distorted the clear. It was still very soft. I was able to knock out the distortion by setting the parts in the dehydrator for a couple of days.
I noticed that the chassis needed a little more black paint.
I used black ZING! to simulate carpet in the interior.
The interior looks great through the windows!
The chassis is masked and the details are sprayed.
The body is masked and ready for trim paint.
With the trim paint and a chassis detail completed, I was looking forward to wrapping up this project.
I successfully used Bare Metal foil on the reverse light and gas filler cap along with the side indicators.
Bare Metal foil and Tamiya clear orange wrapped up the front indicators.
The body and bumpers are permanently attached.
I used aluminum tubing to dress up the exhaust tips.
I was very pleased with the look of the tips.
Bare metal foil helped finish the door handles.
I used a wash of oil paint and thinner. This was the first time I’ve tried to accent panel lines so I was a bit nervous.
Attaching the license plate decal is usually the last thing that I do indicating a finished project.