I had a great sense of satisfaction having completed two long term projects as well by the end of 2016. I had hoped to finish my Buick GSX and Superbird by the end of the year but I realized that there was more to do than I had time. After celebrating the new year, I continued working on those two projects as well as made progress on my ’79 Camaro and ’53 Chevy. By the mid January, I finished the Superbird.
I manged to score a ’79 Camaro kit through Model Roundup. I really wanted a new set of clear windows and the t-top glass. I was determined to create a solid roof and I realized I couldn’t do it without the original pieces. I glued them in place and set the project aside.
I also continued working on modifying the chassis on the ’53 Chevy.
I also modified the rear suspension on the Buick to move the wheels to the center of the wheel openings.
I ordered a complete kit of the ’79 Camaro for the purpose of having new clear glass and complete front and rear suspensions. At this point, I’m waiting for the kit to arrive.
As cool as the T-Tops can be, I saw another build of this kit where the builder converted it to a solid top. I liked the idea and wanted to do it as well. I applied copious amounts of superglue to securely mount the glass.
Having finished sanding and polishing the clear on the Superbird, it was time to move on to the bare metal foil trim.
After the BMF, it was time to mask and spray the top.
I sprayed the roof along with bumper for a ratty diecast Miata.
Now that the top was painted, the Superbird was on the fast track to completion!
I started working on the chassis modifications for the 53 Chevy.
The Buick and Superbird were masked and under-hood detail sprayed.
I set various parts in my dehydrator to cure.
The Superbird and Buick move forward.
At this point, most of the chassis modifications were completed on the ’53 Chevy. I still have more work prior to attaching new styrene. I did strip the chassis, suspension and interior.. It’s always best to start from scratch!
The Superbird continues to get most of the attention. At this point, it’s down to the little details.
I worked on modifying the Buick’s suspension in order to center the rear wheels in the wheel wells. I was able to land the axle in the right place however, I didn’t scrape away the original glue. The result was more ride height in the rear than I wanted.
Although I’ve made progress on the Buick, there is still a great deal of work to do.
I love the way the Superbird turned out.