Moving along! Although I didn’t need to start MORE projects last month, doing so reignited my motivation to build. Not only did I make good progress on new projects, I also moved forward with old projects. I even dusted off a very old project that was started some time in 2005!
During November, I nearly finished the VW Bus and the CRX. The bus was cleared along with the 68 Vette. I also pulled out my 70 Roadrunner and sprayed it with Scale Finished F8 green. Paint job 2 on the Roadrunner turned out considerably better than the first time. I also tried my hand at using flocking for carpeting in the CRX. For my first attempt, it turned out decent. I also finished more detail work on the Buick.
The most significant progress this month was the work completed on my 1:18 scale diecast Civic. I started it in 2005 and never could get it finished. After burying the body in paint, it sat for a number of years. A few years back, I stripped the body, painted the interior and set it back in the corner. Recently, I reworked the body filler but still couldn’t get traction. This month, I managed to hit it hard. I finished the last of the body work, primed it and sprayed color. I let the parts bake in my dehydrator and ended up with strange pinholes that I can only guess are from the paint gassing out. Next month, I found that I could sand out the imperfections and it was ready for clear.
Next month, more progress and finished projects!
The CRX and Buick chassis are masked and detail painted.
Once I removed the masking from the chassis paint, I backed the parts along with many others.
Once again, the bus is in color and clear! Third time’s a charm? I certainly hope so.
I pulled the core supports for the Roadrunner and Superbird and masked them for detail paint.
The 68 vette was cleared and the Roadrunner painted. These have both been long running projects.
When I originally started this kit, it was during a time when I liked to shave door handles. I don’t mind that I did this but there is a a hole in the decal for it. I masked and sprayed the hole.
This picture shows the volume of active projects. I don’t normally leave everything out like this.
Here it is, the diecast Civic. I managed to jump start this project after many years of neglect.
Organizing and planning project work…
Working on a little bit of everything! Parts from the 53 chevy, Roadrunner, 68 Vette, VW Bus and CRX!
The last bit of body work on the Civic was nearly complete. I checked the body work one last time and had it ready to paint.
At long last, the diecast Civic was ready for paint!
I used Krylon paint for the base color. I sprayed a couple of dust coats and then two wet coats.
The Buick GSX hood was ready for paint after applying the edge decals and masking.
After waiting about a week, I was ready to sand the clear on the bus. I was definitely nervous considering the history of this project.
The sanding and polishing turned out very well on the bus. The work wasn’t perfect but overall it looked amazing!
I’ve found that Krylon paint (or most general purpose spray paints) need to be baked in order to cure properly. I let the Civic bake and found that the paint developed pin holes that may be caused by bubbles gassing out. I was disheartened but decided to keep moving forward.
After looking over many reference photos, I found that the window trim on the Bus tended to be either black or body color. I wanted chrome and used BMF to get it. I’m especially pleased with how well the emblem looks in BMF!
Before I could start final assembly, I needed to paint the interior of the bus.
I started painting the NASCAR wheels for my 53 Chevy. I started with primer.
The Buick’s hood looks good!
After finding the pinholes in the paint, in random odd places, I set the Civic aside while I decided my next step.
With paint and trim work complete, the bus was moving quickly to completion! The CRX had been cleared and was ready to be sanded.
The Alclad process requires high gloss black before the chrome paint. The gloss black was dry and it was time for chrome.
I installed the bus’s headlights and markers.
The split window bug and CRX were masked and trim was painted.
The Bug and CRX were now ready for assembly.
The CRX was my first project to use flocking for carpeting. Although I did practice on a scrap part, I needed to really make sure I was ready. Because of this, the carpet is not quite what I had hoped for. Still, it looked decent.
The rear seat back turned out a I would have hoped. Like I said, I should have done more practice.
The glass and rear tail light trim were masked and painted.
I took a break and sprayed a project for my son.
The interior of the CRX was nearly complete. Finally assembly will be soon.
I had been waiting for an order of Alcald aluminum to finish the exhaust for the CRX and Buick.
After attaching the bumpers, it was time for my custom exhaust tips.
At this point, the only thing left on the bus is painting and applying the decals on the license plates. Almost there!
The bus looks great!
I had to touch up the shape of the exhaust tips. They were not even. I really liked the way this turned out!