Normally, I shave the wing off of kits because they look smoother without them, however it didn’t seem right to leave it off. I decided to use the wing on this kit. It was built mostly box stock other than the removal of some very ugly door handles and other small details.
When I dusted off this kit to continue what I had started a few years earlier, I decided to start doing more chassis detailing. Normally, I would spray the underside flat black and be done with it. I started with the body color and then picked out the details with satin black. The addition of the suspension and exhaust really help the chassis stand out.
Continuing with the theme of adding more detail, I decided to add some color to the interior. I painted the door cards and seat inserts body color. I followed the body color with satin clear to give it a more cloth like appearance.
Under the hood, I picked out as much detail as I could on the engine as well as the engine bay.
The finished product is really sharp!
Completed: August 2012
Early production picture. I didn’t change much on this kit other than the door handles and third brake light.
I quickly had this kit in color.
I added the window and other trim
Although the front lip is correctly painted black, I didn’t like it.
I repainted it body color and couldn’t be happier.
The time gap between the original body work and this chassis is spread over several years. I’m glad I didn’t finish this when I started since I would have painted the chassis black.
Interior work in it’s early stages.
I should have started with the primer and color…live and learn.
It’s easier to pray the color first, mask then spray the rest of the interior.
Masking the color was significantly easier than it would have been to mask everything else.
Satin black for the rest of the interior.
The orange paint really sets off the rest of the interior. I’m glad I took the time to do this.
Chassis detail paint.
This looks vastly better than if it had all been black!
Rear suspension installed.
Front suspension and exhaust installed
All of this masking for one minor detail…
Detail paint on the exhaust manifold and cooling fan.
Unless it’s impossible for me to mask, I always opt to spray every detail. This took a ridiculous amount of time to mask.
The results were worth the effort.
Spraying the tail light fixtures.
Head light buckets masked…I wish I had remember to clean off the wax I used to polish the body. I ended up doing this twice.
This was one of my first attempts at using silly puddy.
The results were awesome. I never would have been able to get this right painting by hand.
Tail light lenses installed.
I used my trusty silver sharpie to paint the lens bezels.
Head light lenses installed.
I tried using the black sharpie trick I read about in Scale Auto. It looked purple…so I went back to masking and spraying. I made it a little too wide, but overall it worked out well.
I couldn’t think of way to make the dash look better…so I just used the gauge decals.
Rear wing attached. In the future, I will use metal pins to locate and attach parts like this. This is held on by a tiny dab of superglue.
Body and interior complete.
Time to start the engine detailing.
I have no idea why the instructions called for the side of the engine to be black, but I did it anyway. In this shot, most of the components are ready and waiting to be installed.
In the past, I always painted pulleys silver. I have no idea why, but they tend to be black. I masked the alternator with putty and sprayed the rest.
Liberal use of silly putty made quick work of the engine bay detail.
Masking the horn.
At this point, I’m ready to assemble.
Can’t forget to paint the cooling fan…even though you really won’t see it.
One quick picture to show the cooling fan for the last time.
And it’s gone.
The engine is complete
The engine is complete and the body is mounted. All the hard work paid off!