I managed to find the time to make good progress on a few projects this month.
I ordered a set of 1/32 scale slot car tires for the bug. They were wider than I needed but had the correct overall diameter and hole for the wheel. A little trimming took care of width. I decided to create a “white wall” look by painting the rim section of the wheel. The paint didn’t turn out well but I was able to see what it would look like and I was very pleased. I will be stripping the wheels and repainting. I’m confident of the final results.
I also made solid progress on the ’79 Camaro. The body work on the t-top project turned out better than I had ever hoped. From the outside, there is no sign they ever existed! I finished sanding and priming the body and sprayed the color. I also discovered that my big-block conversion would need more than dropping in the new engine. I did find that the transmission cross member was in the right spot. I removed the original engine mounts, shaved them to smaller pieces and glued them in place. Now the engine fits perfectly. With the body work completed, I sprayed color on the Camaro.
The 70 Roadrunner is in clear…again. This time it turned out very well!
In other news, the ’53 Chevy’s chassis is slowly moving along. I also made more progress on the ’70 GSX.
I picked up the new Molotow chrome paint pen. I’m blown away by how well it works and looks! Comparing it directly to bare metal foil, you can’t tell the difference! I managed to add some great detail to the interiors of the Roadrunner and GSX. It also worked great for painting the center caps of the Camaro. I look forward to picking up the “refill” bottle to use in my airbrush.
The chassis for the 53 Chevy has been a work in progress. Slowly coming together. The Datsun truck is my son’s project.
The slot car tires I bought for the bug arrived and I couldn’t wait to try them out. The overall diameter is almost identical to the original wheel but with a larger wheel opening.
The Buick’s engine is finally glued in place.
The Camaro is finally ready for primer! Once the first application dries, I’ll tidy the body work.
I decided that the larger wheels for the 1/32 scale bug needed white rings. If I had used flat acrylic white, this may have owrked.
I used Tamiya white paint right out of the can. The solvent started to dissolve the silly putty.
Although the wheels need to be stripped, the white lip of the wheels really adds to the took of the big wheels.
Considering the volume of body filler I used on the roof, I was surprised that the roof only needed minor corrections.
After a few corrections, I sprayed the Camaro with primer and was very pleased with the results.
The Camaro, and my son’s Datsun truck are set to cure.
I sprayed clear on the Roadrunner up to the first wet coat. I wanted a layer of clear before I applied the decals.
Once I finished prepping the primer on the Camaro, I started dusting the Testors lime green paint.
The Camaro turned out very well. It will cure for a few days before I start applying decals.
Taking a break in the dehydrator.
The 427 big block was not going to be a direct fit. The transmission cross-member was in the right spot, but the engine mounts needed to be modified. I removed them, cut them in half and glued them in place.
The simple modification to the engine mounts allowed the engine to fit perfectly!
I had to try the newly released Molotow chrome paint marker pens. The Camaro center caps were my first test. I was very pleased!
This is the first test of the painted Camaro. The white lettering on the wheels, chrome center caps and all green look awesome!
The Camaro’s wheels were steel with a steel colored lip. I used a silver sharpie to paint the lip.
The Camaro’s wheels are finished!
I used Keith Marks decals on the Roadrunner. I almost feel bad breaking up the smooth finish of this project with a stripe decal.
The Keith Marks decals look great on the Camaro.
The Molotow chrome paint marker made quick work of the dashboard details for the Buick.
Hoods from the Buick and Roadrunner are ready to be masked.
The Buick interior is complete. I’m very pleased with the results.
I was preparing to complete the Roadrunner interior as well.
Although messy, it’s good to see project progress!