This was a kit that I built in 1996. It was my first attempt at a “custom”. I had shaved a bit of trim and in the process, ended up losing the door lines. I was never really happy with the way it turned out so I decided to rebuild it.
The comparison shot reveals most of the changes. I used ’65 Corvette wheels. I chopped the suspension as far as it would go. I then cut out the pillar creating a “coupe”. I also cut out the bar in the front window. Using body filler, I filled in all of the trim around the windows to make a very clean edge. I also scribed door lines which go well with the pillar-less look. The color is a “flip flop” that we carried at the hobby shop several years ago.
The final result is much better than I had hoped. The color is perfect and the lines are super clean.
Originally built: 1996
Reworked: October 2008
Best in Show in Hobbytown USA’s 2012 Spring Model Contest
Before and After
The early, 1996 completion picture
In the past, I’ve managed to forget about taking pictures prior to staring a rework project. Not this time!
For the most part, the original work wasn’t bad. I just wanted something different.
Decals gone, side pillar gone, freshly scribed door panel lines
Testing out the stance
The body work begins.
Suspension modifications are complete. Rough body work complete
Testing out the paint with a black base.
Most of the body work involved modifying the window molding. I wanted to give it a smooth trim-less look.
More window trim work
Small body trim work Work In Progress pile
At this point, the body work is completed. It is now ready for paint.
The color had a flat finish making it very easy to spray.
Originally, I had intended to spray the running boards satin black, but I decided to avoiding breaking the flow of the color and opted to paint them body color.
Sanding out the clear.
I missed a fitment issue with the top half of the body to the bottom half. I wish I had noticed before painting since the repair could have damaged the paint.
Marrying the body to the frame
Another last minute detail was stripping the bumpers and painting them body color. The condition of the chrome was poor and I didn’t want it to distract from the rest of the kit.