When I visit other cities, I always try to visit a local hobby shop. While in Vancouver, I found a fun little shop and while I was there, I found this CRX. I wanted to add to my Honda Civic/CRX collection and I didn’t have one of this generation. Naturally, I bought it.
My wife talked me into sticking with the two toned color scheme but rather than using the original colors, silver/blue or silver/red, she suggested I use more dramatic colors. I used Tamiya light gunmetal for the bottom half and Tamiya dark blue metallic for the top. I was not disappointed!
While detailing the chassis, I noticed that it would be very easy to cut out the fake engine half and detail paint it separately, saving me a lot of masking grief. Having carefully cut it away with a hobby knife, rather than use a saw, I was able to slip it back in place with no fitment issues.
For the suspension, I wanted to simulate an Eibach spring and Koni shock look. With careful masking, I was able to get the look I was after.
The interior went together well. To dress up the all black dashboard, I did my best to highlight HVAC and other control button details. I also tried flocking for the first time on this kit. I can’t say it went as well as it could have but I understood what I did wrong. Subsequent projects have turned out very well!
The body didn’t need much special attention. I did fill in odd holes in the rear bumper that do exist on the 1:1 as well as the front plate holes. The color selection turned out better than I hoped.
Wrapping up the build, I added aluminum tubing for the exhaust tips, used Tamiya clear colors for all of the indicators and tail lights.
Overall, this was a very quick and simple build. This is one more Honda Civic/CRX that I’ve added to my collection.
Completed: December 2016
I filled in a few minor details like the door locks, front license plate mount and dimples in the rear bumper.
The body work didn’t take long. It was painted with primer and ready for color.
I started by spraying the light gunmetal on the bottom half of the model.
When I realized that it would be more difficult to mask the top half, I sprayed the entire model deep blue metallic.
I also sprayed the chassis. Here you can see where I cut the engine out of the chassis to simplify masking.
It was significantly easier to mask the bottom half.
Front chassis detail was masked and sprayed.
The seats had a deep pocket in the back with no back. I used sheet styrene to fill the void.
Paint work was completed by masking the thin molding on the sides and spraying dark red enamel paint.
I was really happy with how the red stripe looked. The masking worked very well.
Now that the red stripe was finished, I would set the model aside and let it cure and then later spray with clear coat.
Kit progress was delayed by having to wait for Alclad paints to be delivered. I wanted to try their paints on the exhaust. I’m fairly pleased but I will probably stick with Tamiya Paints.
I masked and sprayed the gas tank.
Having glued sheet styrene to the seat backs, I rough shaped them and prepped them for primer to check my work.
Several parts of the CRX were prepped for primer.
I wanted to go with an aftermarket suspension look. I simulated Eibach springs with red paint and Koni shocks with yellow paint. Plenty of careful masking was used.
The CRX was moving along very well. The clearcoat was sanded and polished.
Using parafilm, I masked the trim on the body.
After spraying trim and removing the mask, I realized that I didn’t need to spray the panel under the doors. Although not correct, it looks good.
I finished the paint work on the rear suspension. I was pleased with the outcome of the detail work.
Once the paint was completed on the engine, I reinstalled with CA glue and used small scraps of styrene to give it more strength.
Although I could have completed the engine detail while it was attached to the chassis, it was significantly easier doing so. It genuinely looks like a separate piece this way.
With the engine completed, it was time to install the rest of the chassis details.
My first ever attempt at using flocking. I made mistakes with the glue preventing this from looking as good as it could. I’m still very pleased with the appearance.
I was very pleased with the seats. It took several coats of primer and sanding to smooth out all of the sanding marks and pits. The end result looks great.
This is the rear compartment cover. I had figured out my mistake with the flocking. This piece turned out very well.
I tried my hand at adding button detail to the dashboard. I really helped break up the black paint.
All of the pieces are coming together.
The interior is completed and attached to the chassis.
The glass and headlight pockets have been attached.
I attached the deck lid spoiler and rear wiper.
Here is the completed underside along with aluminum exhaust tips.
The project is coming to a close. Only a few more pieces need to be installed.
After a few short months, the CRX is complete!
The CRX turned out very well.
I’m very pleased with this nearly box stock build!