Building “rat” cars, without the extra patina, is pretty easy. Flat paint jobs and minimal body work. This truck is a Rat-Rod kit so it really lends for a rat build.
As much as chrome suits an old truck like this, most of the parts, including the chrome plated parts, had an incredible amount flashing and mold lines. I decided to de-chrome most of the parts and paint them aluminum.
My first attempt at a wood grain finish was a success! I used a technique that I read about in Scale Auto Magazine and finished it with Bare Metal Foil for the straps. I’m very pleased with the final results.
I also used embossing powder to simulate a carpeted floor in the cab.
Lastly, the doors won’t stay closed….I spent a great deal of time making sure the doors would close, but in the end, after the cab and roof were glued in place, it changed the shape of the cab enough to where the doors no longer stay closed. I may end up gluing them closed in the future.
Completed: December 2012
1st Place in Hobbytown USA’s Spring 2015 Model Contest
Introducing a new project always starts with staging the un-touched project
Early prep work.
The Hemi would have been a nice touch!
Nearly every surface of every body panel is visible making it a very tedious process to paint.
It’s easy to see how many parts have to be painted in this picture…and this isn’t all of them!
Here you can see the embossing powder ready for the interior color
Here is my floor paint with painted embossing powder.
The engine is coming along well.
The entire kit suffered excessive flashing and the chrome parts were no exception. Stripping the chrome was my only option if I wanted to make the parts presentable.
Stripped and ready for paint.
In retrospect, I probably would have been better off waiting to attach the hinges until after the paint was sprayed. I would have had a better chance of having the doors close properly.
Engine detail work.
The hinges were separate pieces for the tail gate and doors….a detail that proved frustrating.
At this point the engine is mostly complete
I don’t think the Honda Prelude wheels look right.
This is Testors dark red. It worked perfectly on these wheels.
Extra motivation was required while gluing the chassis to the lower body pan.
The wheels were made up of two pieces. I appreciated the extra detail.
Completed wheels before lug detail.
Superstance as a result of no axles.
I love the way these wheels turned out
The kit came with two options for the front axle. A standard axle and a dropped axles which is the one I used. The rear sat way too high for my taste.
Wheels complete and more work completed on the engine.
With the engine installed, I could attach the rest of the suspension.
In order to drop the rear suspension, I removed the rear spring altogether. It isn’t accurate but it works.
I really liked the way the front suspension comes together to add to the realism of the kit
Carbs and air cleaners installed. I used bare metal foil to touch up the air cleaners and intake manifold.
This project needed an aluminum exhaust pipe! I cut off the original tip and made my own
The stance with the rear spring removed is much better.
Running boards masked and ready for paint
Running boards masked and ready for paint.
The painted running boards look great and break up the sea of red oxide primer.
I decided to do some body work to the inner door panels since they would be open and seen.
Cutting out the glass and installing it.
A can of metal polish works great to apply pressure while gluing the cab to the frame.
…and attaching the roof.
Ironing out the details by painting dechromed pieces.
This project wouldn’t have been complete without a true woodgrain look in the bed.
Masking the bed for wood grain
I sprayed the instrument cluster flat black and then used a toothpick to scrape away the trim bezels and gauges
With the front end complete, it was time to finish the bed.
After the base color, bronze dry brushing and tamiya clear orange were applied, bare metal foil was used for the straps.
The finished product! I thought about black washing the straps to add to the depth. Maybe sometime in the future.
The aluminum exhaust definitely adds to the final appearance!