Corvette 1969 No. 2 – Monogram – WIP

Quick Build ’69 Corvette

Wait, didn’t I just finish a Monogram ’69 Corvette? Yes. Yes I did. I don’t tend to build the same or similar kit. In fact, once I graduated to air brush painting and higher level detailing, I’ve never built a kit more than once. Given the limited time I have to work on my hobby, I like to build something new. So what’s going on here?

Original Plan

While I was still building my first ’69 Corvette, I found this partially assembled kit on the floor of a dank and nasty old hobby shop. The kit was missing the instructions but everything else was there.  At more than half he regular kit price, it was a bargain. This kit also had rear exiting exhaust rather than the side pipes of the other build. I thought I would build my project without the side pipes. After I realized that I needed to modify the body to fit the rear exit exhaust, and the body was already painted, I abandoned the idea. I boxed up the kit and set it aside with no plans of a future build.

For Sale?

I had been thinking about building kits for the purpose of selling them. It would give me the outlet to build without packing my displays with more kits. I photograph each build and would always have the pictures. I decided to start with this kit.

Can I Do It?

I wanted to build with high quality, speed and low effort. What can I sacrifice without losing overall curb appeal? With all that in mind, I started working. I decided that when I had time I would dedicate full evenings to this build. There is no way I can work on the build on consecutive nights, but I will document the build by day to get an idea of how long it will take.

Timeline

Day 1:

Out of the gate, I prepped nearly every last part for paint. If I could, I left parts attached to the sprues.

Day 2:

I had all the parts ready for primer. I washed them and set them in the dehydrator to dry.

Day 3:

I had every part primed and followed by spray all semigloss black parts. I over-thinned the Tamiya X18 and ended up with a hazy looking sheen. For most parts, it worked out well but there are many others that need another coat from a different batch of paint. I did find imperfections in the body that had to be corrected before paint.

Day 4:

I resprayed all of the Corvette’s interior parts with a new batch of Tamiya semigloss black. The sheen was much better. Body blemishes repaired and resprayed with primer. Chassis and suspension assembly was completed. The engine was primed with white primer. Lastly, I used Tamiya panel line accent on the wheels and front springs to give them more depth.

Day 5:

The exhaust and other parts requiring metallic paint were sprayed. I used decanted Tamiya TS17 gloss silver for most of the parts.  I used other shades of metallic as necessary. Unfortunately, this is all I could accomplish today.

Day 6:

The Corvette’s engine was masked and sprayed. I finished the detail in the interior using silver paint, Molotow chrome and Tamiya panel line accent. I was going to add flocking and remembered that you can’t see any of it in the finished model. The interior was assembled and set aside. I assembled the firewall and most of the engine. I also painted the gloss black base on all of the parts that will be alclad chromed. If I had more time, I would have finished the engine and possibly wired it.

Day 7:

Big progress today. Engine assembly was complete and detailed it with panel line accent and plug wires. Once the engine was complete, I attached the it to the chassis along with the drive shaft and exhaust. Body prep was complete having smoothed out the last few blemishes, spot primed, sanded and sprayed in color. I started with decanted paint to fill in the panel lines and then finished with the spray can.

Day 8:

What I’ve learned through this build shortly after finishing a very similar kit is that I remember all of the corrections I had to make in order to make all of the parts fit. The hood and engine bay opening need massaging to make them fit and open smoothly. The radiator shroud needs to be shaved in order to give room for the hood to close. In the end, this will go smoothly knowing the ins and outs of the kit itself.